01 May Mental Health First Aid Certification Course
Offered Exclusively to GVMA Members & Practice Management Staff!
Mental Health First Aid Certification Course
Saturday, July 16, 2022
8 am – 4 pm
- 3-Year Mental Health First Aid Certification
- 2 LEAP CE Credits
- 6.5 General CE Credits
How Mental Health First Aid Can Help
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental health and substance use challenges among adults.
- Common signs and symptoms of mental health challenges;
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use challenges;
- How to interact with a person in crisis;
- How to connect a person with help;
- Expanded content on trauma, substance use and self-care.
- Learn how to respond with the Mental Health First Aid Action Plan (ALGEE):
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm.
- Listen nonjudgmentally.
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help.
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies.
Our Mental Health First Aid course will have 2 parts—the first part is a self-paced online segment that takes 2 – 3 hours. This has to be completed before the live virtual session. The second part is live and interactive and is about 7.5 hours (includes breaks).
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Heidi L. Hulon, DVM, CCFP, MHFA
Elanco Animal Health
Wellbeing Consulting Veterinarian
Dr. Heidi Hulon graduated from Auburn University with both her undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s of Science, Zoology) and with her D.V.M. She has practiced in in a variety of areas during her career, including small animal practice (associate and owner), relief vet, shelter medicine, Department Chair for a Veterinary Technology Program, and as a Technical Veterinarian for Hill’s Pet Nutrition.
Since 2011, Dr. Hulon has been a Regional Consulting Veterinarian for Elanco Animal Health. Her current role is as the Wellbeing Consulting Veterinarian where her personal and professional passion and experience are shared in the delivery of education on wellbeing topics to our veterinary customers across the country. Subjects in which Dr. Hulon has training are FRANK Communication Skills, in addition to Certifications in Insights Discovery, Compassion Fatigue, Positive Psychology, QPR Suicide Training, Fear Free, the Human Animal Bond and Mental Health First Aid.
PART I: Self-paced Virtual Content
- Segments Covered:
- Overview of Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health and Mental Disorders
- Role of the Mental Health First Aider and Self Care
- Common Mental Disorders in the US
- Recognizing Signs and Symptoms
PART II: Live Virtual Course – July 16
(Participants will be on camera and be active in group exercises)
- 8:00am – 12:00pm: In-Session (with intermittent breaks)
- 12:00pm – 12:30pm: Lunch Break
- 12:30pm – 4:00pm: In-Session (with intermittent breaks)
- Segments Covered:
- Welcome to Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health First Aid Self-Paced Introduction Overview
- ALGEE: Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
- Mental Health First Aid for Early Signs and Symptoms
- Mental Health First Aid for Worsening Signs and Symptoms
- Mental Health First Aid for Crisis Situations
- Self-Care for the Mental Health First Aider
Fee: $75 per person
Practice Managers – Please contact our office to register at the $75 rate.